Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cherita Kereta Orang Lama

Last weekend, on a very fine Sunday my dear old grandpa shared with me his personal history of car ownership. I should write it down here, lest I forget it... Time has never been friendly with my memory...

He was a teacher by profession, since 13 of age, and later went on to become a headmaster at a local primary school, and the first ever car which he bought was a second-hand Morris Minor, which often had problems and was not very usable, to him at least... so he traded it for a brand-spanking new (at that time, of course) Volkswagen Beetle, fresh off the showroom. He was happier with the Beetle, one of the very few people back then to be driving around on dirty, muddy, makeshift roads, if you could even call them roads... Next came an Italian, a Fiat, I'm not sure what model... didn't ask him for some reason... could probably be a 600, since those were quite common at the time...

*Fiat 124 according to Rusmini Ku Ahmad... Thanks :)

Then came the Japanese era... He bought a Datsun, again I'm not sure what model... And when the Malaysian automotive industry was born, he supported it my getting one of the early Saga models... He eventually gave the Saga to my uncle, when he had just started work as a doctor... while my uncle was using the Saga to commute to and from work at the Alor Star General Hospital, Wan bought a Toyota Corolla, the one that's three generations behind the current-selling Corolla Altis, for his personal use. Later on my uncle would trade the old Saga for another Corolla, a generation ahead from Wan's own Corolla... Two Toyotas in the family...

*Datsun 120Y according to Rusmini Ku Ahmad... Thanks :)

After some time of driving around in the Corolla, he got bored with it, and sold it to his close relative... Then he bought a Proton Iswara Aeroback, a turquoise one, maybe because he misses his old Saga...

After a few years with the Iswara, he finally gave it to my aunt, a teacher who was newly-married at that time and with her first child... :)

Currently he is driving a Peugeot 206 (strictly not a Naza Bestari) which was my mum's previous car. He is a very happy man with a very happy Peugeot now... :)

My dear old Grandpa is a very interesting man with an interesting (maybe boring to you, but hey... my grandpa, not yours.. :P) car history, and for that I solute him...

Can't wait to start my own car story... what shall I start with? When will a Fiesta come in? God knows. Hmmmm... however the story starts, I shall be determined to put a Porsche, and maybe an Aston too, somewhere in the plot...

Because you can learn one or two things from your elders;

1 comment:

  1. I think it's Datsun 130Y, plate no KR 8060

    ReplyDelete